Quantitative Tools for Qualitative Investors
Over the last twenty years, hedge funds and the financial institutions at the heart of the City have become increasingly dominated by quantitative analysis, high quality data and computing power. They have learned to invest in ever more optimal ways designed to prey on the weaker hands in the market. Unfortunately, the resources available to individual investors have just not kept pace with this. The financial data published on the Web is staggeringly inconsistent, bulletin boards have encouraged herd behaviour and the big financial websites have been too busy promoting the businesses that they find most profitable... ineffective short-term day trading, spurious technical analysis and inappropriately leveraged financial products.
We believe strongly in the power of quantitative models & analysis to improve investor decision-making and don't see why their benefits should only be enjoyed by those wealthy enough to invest in hedge funds. One CEO of a leading financial website recently told us that "There's no such thing as a private investor....there are only gamblers". We are here to disprove this thesis and develop the quantitative toolbox that thinking investors need. If you are a fundamentally-focused individual investor with a passion for the market, who is frustrated by the lack of good tools to make the best decisions, you've come to the right place. Like you, we want to play the investing game on a level footing with the institutions... and win!
Our Goals and Principles
- To dedicate this site to the art of stock picking in its many forms.
- To deliver the most timely and accurate fundamental data and research available.
- To turn the extensive literature about stock picking into actionable lists of investment ideas.
- To demystify financial statement analysis with easy to use tools and articles.
- To ease and speed financial analysis using data visualisation.
- To keep things as simple as possible, but no simpler (cf Einstein)
- To encourage active debate, contrarianism and skepticism in the face of consensus opinion.
- To believe in the power of quantitative analysis, but respect its limitations.
- To aid financial literacy through free help content, discussion and education.
- To deliver our tools everywhere, all the time!
Check out what we can offer
Just some of the tools that we are building include the following features:
- Stock Reports that summarise the essential statistics for making decisions.
- Stock Screens modelled on famous investment strategies as starting points for research.
- Checklists to speed research and help encourage thinking about investment processes.
- Valuation Tools to help people better understand the variables in a company's price.
- Discussion Boards with the most intelligent community on the web.
- The Research Centre where every stock market strategy under the sun is distilled!
We are hard at work on a path to deliver everything we have promised but we are a small dedicated team that appreciates outside input. If you have ideas you would like to see implemented on the website, or would like to know more, get in touch with us!